“Moved computer, wrote down password incorrectly, and can’t get in Windows XP without password. Is there a way to find password or reset it?”
Method 1: Use the built-in administrator account
It's well known that the built-in administrator account is enabled and not password protected in Windows 7. If you never set a password to this account, then you can follow the steps listed below to reset Windows password.
1. Open the Log On to Windows" window by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del twice on Windows XP logon screen.
2. Type "administrator" in the user name box and then click OK .
3. After logging into computer, click Start, click Run box, and then enter "control userpasswords2", click OK
4. On the classic user account window, select target user account and click "Reset Password" button.
Method 2: Use safe mode
1. Turn on computer, press F8 to enter the Advanced Boot Options.
2. Select Safe Mode and then log in as administrator.
3. In Safe Mode, click Start and then select Run box, type "control userpasswords2", click OK.
4. On the Users interface, pick the user account, and then click Reset Password.
Note: Administrator password is required to enter safe mode.
Method 3: Use Windows Password Unlocker
Windows Password Unlocker allows you to instantly reset missing Windows password in a few minutes by creating a bootable password reset disk with CD/DVD or USB flash drive in any computer that you can log in as administrator.
1. Download and install Windows Password Unlocker.
2. Create a bootable password reset disk with CD/DVD or USB flash drive.
3. Boot the computer from the CD/DVD or USB flash drive.
4. Remove lost Windows XP password within 3 clicks.
You can use Windows Password Unlocker to reset missing Windows 7/Vista/ 2008(R2)/ 2003(R2) /2000 password.