You need your password before you can change it on your Windows-based laptop. This is for security reasons; otherwise, anyone with access to your laptop could change the password. However, if your computer has a separate administrator account, you can change the other account passwords from that account. The process is extremely simple in Windows Vista and 7, but if you are running Windows XP, it will take a few more clicks for you to change or reset Windows password.
Case 1： I f you are on Windows Vista/7
Turn on your computer or log out of any user accounts you are currently logged into.
1. Press "Ctrl" + "Alt" + "Del" simultaneously.
2. Click "Change a Password", then select the user account with the password you want to change if you have multiple accounts on your laptop.
3. Follow the on-screen prompts to enter your old password, and then type and confirm your new password.
4. Restart your computer and log in with your new password.
Case 2: If you are on Windows XP
1. Click "Start", then hover over "Settings" and click "Control panel".
2. Select "User accounts" and then select the account for which you want to change the password.
3. Click "Change password", and then follow the prompts to enter your old password, new password and password confirmation. You can add a hint to help you remember your new password.
4. Click "Change password" at the bottom of the screen to confirm the change. Restart your computer and log on with your new password.
However, sometimes things may get more difficult that if you forgot Windows password and can not logon with the administrator account, can the above method work? Definitely not. Then, is there any ways to reset Windows password on Windows 7, Vista or Windows XP?
Under the condition, why not ask a Windows password recovery tool for help? If you input " reset Windows password" for search, amounts of Windows password recovery tools come out, like Ophcrack, Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, PC Login Now or Windows Password Unlocker. Well, you can select one of them and have a try by yourself, which always give a big favor to reset Windows password sucessfully.