Have you ever experienced that you are locked of your computer resulting from a forgotten Windows password? What’s worse, you have a great deal of work to do on your PC or you want to get some important files from the computer. What will do in that situation? Here I'll discuss how to reset a forgotten Windows password?
Option 1: Use a password reset disk to reset lost password
Pros: Built-in Windows feature allows you to create such a password reset disk in seconds without charge.
Cons: The Windows password reset disk should be created before the Windows password is forgotten.
Time: a few seconds
1. Restart your computer. Enter your password on the logon screen. Windows displays an error message stating the password is incorrect if you enter the wrong password.
2. Click "OK" to close the message and click the "Reset Password" button. Insert your password reset disk or USB flash drive. The password reset wizard will launch.
3. Enter the new password you want to use by following the guided prompts on the wizard. Type the new password again to confirm.
4. Log on to your computer using the new password.
Option 2: use a free Windows password recovery to crack lost windows password, then you can get back the password, like Ophcrack.
Pros: Free Windows password recovery tool to retrieve your lost Windows password.
Cons: 496MB (7/Vista) / 415MB (XP) LiveCD ISO image will take you much time for download and passwords greater than 14 characters cannot be cracked
Time: More than 1 hour
1. Load the Ophcrack CD to the computer, install and run it.
2. Click on Load and select the appropriate password LM (LAN Manager) hash to use or choose PWDUMP File if the hash was dumped and saved using pwdump2.
3. Otherwise choose encrypted SAM to allow Ophcrack to dump the hashes from the SAM and SYSTEM files retrieved from a Windows machine while booting on another disk.
4. Click Tables, and select the location or folder to store the rainbow hash tables downloaded or installed by the installer.
5. Select the type of tables you wish to use
6. Click Launch to start the cracking process.
Option 3: A powerful, easy-to-use and cost-effective shareware like Windows Password Unlocker, which can help you reset windows password quickly and successfully.
Pros: Powerful Windows password recovery tool allows you to reset lost password to blank in minutes without any data loss or damage. And 100% recovery rate guaranteed.
Cons: It is released as a shareware, not a freeware.
Time: a few minutes, usually 5 minutes.
Step 1: Download and install Windows Password Unlocker in any available computer.
Step 2: Burn a bootable CD/DVD or USB flash drive.
Step 3: Reset lost Windows password to blank.