Windows XP includes a default administrator's account for which the password is set up during the initial Windows installation. If you have forgotten this password, you will not be able to access your Windows XP default Administrator account. While you won't be able to recover the original password, as long as you have another account with administrative privileges, you will be able to log in and reset Windows XP admin password.
Method 1: Reset Windows XP admin password with another available admin level account
1. Log into Windows XP with an account that has administrative privileges.
2. Click "Start" and press "Run." Type "mmc" (without quotation marks) and press "Enter."
3. Select the "Local Users and Groups" snap-in from the Microsoft Management Console window.
4. Expand "Local Users and Groups" from under the "Console Root" heading. Click on "Users."
Find the user named "Administrator" in the right side of the window. Right-click on the user name and select "Set Password." Press "Proceed" in the dialog box that appears.
Method 2: Reset XP admin password with "Ctrl+Alt+Del"
1. Restart your machine and hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice. Enter the name of the administrator account and type in the password. Hit "Enter" to log in.
2. Go to the "Start" menu. Go to "Run". Type in "control userpasswords2" and click "OK".
3. Select the administrator account under the "Users" tab. Click "Reset Password". Type in a new password and select "OK".
Note: if you take this measure, make sure you can log on as administrator.
Method 3: Reset Windows XP password with a third party software
Most of us did not create a password reset disk or there is no another available administrator privileges account, what would you do to reset Window xp admin password? Well, just take it ease, a third party software named Windows Password Unlocker can help you solve Windows password recovery issue on Windows XP. As is known, Windows Password Unlocker is professionally designed to reset Windows local and admin password on Windows 7/XP/Vista/2000 and Windows Server 2003/2008 with a bootable CD/DVD/USB quickly and keep all the data in the locked PC safety.