There are times we need to start the computer in safe mode to troubleshoot and fix issues with Windows. This is called minimalistic mode, where only basic files, drivers and programs are loaded. Hence with only critical programs are active we can easily identify program causing specific issue.
What is Safe mode?
Safe mode loads Windows with only basic drivers and files. For example, startup programs do not load in safe mode. In safe mode, display is pretty bad as video drivers do not load. Also, there is no internet connection in safe mode.
Steps to start PC in Safe Mode
1. Make sure there is no dics in CD / DVD or floppy drive. Also, no additional external device like USB or pen drive should be connected to computer. Now click on start and reboot / restart the computer.
2. As the computer restarts and you see the manufacturer logo on dark screen (like Dell logo or Acer logo) continuously tap F8 key. This should be done before the Windows start logo. If you see Windows logo, repeat above steps.
3. You may get option to select operating system, make a selection, press Enter. Now you get advanced boot screen with options like Repair your computer, Safe mode, Safe mode with networking, Normal mode and many more.
4. Select Safe mode option and press the enter key. You will get desktop screen with fudged colors (video drivers don’t load in safe) and no internet connection.
To boot out of safe mode, just restart or reboot the computer. This time, do not press any key and let the computer boot to the desktop screen. Alternatively, you can press F8 at startup screen and select normal mode.
As we have now get more info about Safe Mode, then what can it do? It is featured that we can use Safe Mode for our Windows password recovery. If you forgot the login password, you can take it like this to reset Windows password.
How to reset Windows Password from Safe Mode?
1. Restart your computer and press F8 just before the Windows logo shows up.
2. Select "Safe Mode" from the list that shows up and press "Enter" on your keyboard to begin booting in Safe Mode.
3. Choose the extra administrator account that shows up on the screen and wait until the boot process completes.
4. Go to your Start menu and click "Run."
5. Enter "control userpasswords2" and press "Enter" on your keyboard.
6. Click on the account you lost the password for.
7. Click the "Change the Password" link and write another password that you can remember easily. Click the "Change Password" button and restart your computer after you finish.
Now you can easily reset Windows admin password from safe mode. But the premise is that you must have another available administrative right account and password.