Forgot Windows password almost always is an extremely irritating problem. Specifically if you currently have vital documents on your hard drive you'll want to accessibility at the earliest opportunity. If you forgot the Windows admin password and also have few other account with administrator rights, issues could possibly get difficult. The techniques and cost-free methods explained here can reset Windows password for all Windows versions—that is definitely, for Windows 7, Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server 2008 R2. In the following paragraphs I only discussthe Windows 7/Vista/XP, but the methods also work for the similar server versions.
1. Reset Windows XP password from safe mode
Safe Mode is usually a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer using a minimal set of drivers and services. Windows XP has a built in administrator account, this account is created during Windows installation, and is not accessible under normal circumstances. If you forgot Windows XP Password, you can enter safe mode with the default administrator account to reset a new one.
1. Start your computer and press "F8" while the computer boots up. The Advanced Boot Options screen appears.
2. Scroll down to "Safe Mode" with the arrow keys on the keyboard and press "Enter." Your computer starts in Safe Mode.
3. Click on the "Administrator" account that appears on the Windows logon screen. If you've ever set an administrator password, you must enter that password instead of leaving the "Password" field blank. Usually the Administrator password is blank.
4. Click on "Start" and “Control Panel". Then Click” user accounts”.
5. Select an account to change password.
6. Click “Change the password” and type a new password for that locked account.
Then you will successful reset the locked account password, restart your computer, you can enter that account with the new password.
2. Get a Free Windows password recovery tool
Here I list the top 5 free Windows password recovery tools for your choice. Those Windows password recovery tools are totally free you can directly download one of them and following the user guide to help you reset the forgotten Windows password safely.
1.The Ophcrack Windows password cracker is by far the best free Windows password recovery tool available.
2. Boot your locked PC with a burned CD created with the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor ISO file to reset password.
3. Instead of discovering and displaying your current Windows password, PC Login Now deletes it, allowing you to access Windows without a password, after which you can create a new one.
4. Kon-Boot is yet another free password reset program which enables you create a password reset disk to bypass lost Windows password.
5. Cain & Abel is an another free, fast and amazing Windows password recovery tool.
3. Take a commercial password reset tool
A plenty of commercial Windows password recovery tools are available online that enables to reset the forgotten Windows password. Some of them might be easier to use or come with better instructions than the free tools. I would prefer a tool named Windows Password Unocker where the vendor offers support in case you run into problems, which is an efficient and professional Windows password reset program allowing to reset Windows password with a writable CD/DVD or USB flash drive on Windows Vista/XP as well as Server 2000/2003/2008. Even works well for Windows 7 password reset.